Wednesday 3 August 2016

CULTURE SHOCKED

They say it takes about 3 months for culture shock to occur and homesickness to set in.  That the realisation of your fate truly sets in when the cultural differences can be unexpected and unsettling.
SOAKING IT IN

Well, I left Calgary April 3, 2016.  I am well due for my culture shock.  The identity crisis doesn't seem to be looming as I feel so at home here.  I never truly fit in Calgary and maybe that was my cultural crisis for so many years.

Being the ever inquisitive and bright eyed observer,  I have noted some quirky and quintessential Haligonian traits.  I offer, to you, dear reader, my top 10:



GROWLER READY
1. WALK DON'T DRIVE:  People here walk- everywhere.  You don't need a car to live in Halifax.  No matter where you live, everything is within walking distance.  I rarely use my car now except for road trips.  This attitude has lent to a lackadaisical approach to roads.  Calgary has no idea what a pot hole is.  Learning to drive in Halifax is all about dodging, weaving and u-turns as the signage here is ass backwards!  Who puts an exit sign after the exit?! And those damned pedestrians; Everywhere.    It has taken me a while to be mindful of those silly buggers dashing out into the roads willy nilly!  


BUILT FOR THE SEASON
2. PATIO SEASON!:  Patio season is taken very serious here!  They are literally put up in the spring on the sidewalks and as such have to also make a semi-permanent, pedestrian pathway on the road to accommodate these patios.  They are then taken down in late fall and the roads are restored to their former luster.

3.  NO IKEA:  You'd think with their semi disposable patios, Halifax would embrace the lego like furniture Mecca!  I feel so lost without my church.  Where are all the lesbians getting their furniture?!


4. NO 7-11:  Seriously, not one.  No slurpees, to taquitos and no pumpkin muffins that only they can do.  The only saving grace is Pizza Corner on those way -too-late nights

5.PLAID:  I thought plaid was a cliche Canadianism made up by Americans but nope!  Its all here in Halifax.  Every single person owns at least one piece of plaid and flashes it on the daily.

BEER SCHOOL
6.  BEER:  I love beer- Like, a lot!  And I considered myself somewhat of a knowledgeable person when it came to the pint.  Holy mother of pearl was I wrong!  Beer is a lifestyle here.  You can't just simply order a beer .  You need to know what style, what brewery and what characters.  If you don't have a clue, your waitress will be more that happy to educate you on the more than 15 variety minimum in each bar.  I cant wait to visit Calgary and get all uppity when ordering a beer!


7.  PUBS:   Nova Scotia isn't a rich province by any means but they still don't work like dogs to make more money. They know how to just stop, breath, have a pint and enjoy life because work will be there tomorrow.  EAST COAST LIFESTYLE! Heading to your local pub is part of that. Everyone goes; everyone mingles.  There really is no genre/age/lifestyle typing of bars.  You walk into any bar and there is 19-90 year olds, poor and rich, straight and gay etc.etc.  It makes for great conversations and energetic settings!  It was one of the first things that made me feel at home.  For once, I wasn't the only one my age who wasn't a stiff or weird.  Pretty much the norm here.

8. B-BALL. Its pretty big here.  Semi pro team and everything.  I'm slowly learning to love it and its so fun to go to the games because the ticket prices and accessibility are nothing like those damn Flames!

9. SPEAKING OF FLAMES.  The one thing I truly miss:  Fire pits.  Its just not a thing here.  it would fit so well here though!  Maybe I should light a match under their arses!

ITS AN EAST COAST THING
And of course...

10. DONAIR!

 Not a Shawarma.  Not ever. They actually made this the official food of Halifax.  That means they used tax dollars and legislative time to recognise and award a food with a title.  Do they love Donair? Yeah, you could say that.  

If you want to know more about this sacred food, you know EAT THIS TOWN is an absolute encyclopedia on this and would love to feed your brain.




And with that all said...I think I'll go take a walk in my plaid shorts and have a pint at the Fickle Frog


CHEERS!



No comments:

Post a Comment