Wednesday 24 August 2016

Fundy Fun Day



One of the perks of being with a Food Blogger is invites to special events.  On Sunday, August 14 EatThisTown was invited to Alexander Keith's Launching of their new "craft" line beers.  Of course I probably don't have the correct terminology or event description but hell, I'm not the Foodie here and that's not what this is about.

Lets get down to the good stuff:

Free Beer,
Free food,
Private tours and of course...my new favourite past time;
Foodie watching!

I knew my unwavering support and loving, never-ending patience, would someday be rewarded in kind.

But first, we had to get there.

This tour did offer a shuttle service to and from the event (Kudos to Keith's for being responsible as drinking was certainly going to happen). Because of work commitments, however, it was essential that we use our own means of transportation.  Further translation:  I'm driving.

It's one of the things I signed up for because, well, when a Foodie is a true Foodie, they have a one track mind.  For my Foodie, driving isn't on that track.  And what my Foodie lacks in driving skills, she does not make up for in navigational/ co-piloting skills.  I can generally tell what type of day we'll have depending on how many u-turns have been executed.

This day, only two!  This was going to be a Gooder!

Spirits high, anxiety low, we arrive at Burntcoat Head Park.  A few minutes later, the tour bus full of all the invitees arrived. A speckling of Chefs, Restaurant staff, Farmers, Producers, Media, Beer Bloggers, and of course Food Bloggers.

So many personalities!  My head was swirling and I felt about 6 inches tall.

We were separated into two groups of 20 as the tours down to the Fundy floor need to be this size or less.

Shell Fish Boil
As we descended down to the path toward the orange, mud carpeted shore, I'm greeted by the sounds of music! Ah-ha!  My 6 inches has now gone to 3 feet! These are my people!  The musicians are playing some traditional East Coast music and I'm feeling warm and fuzzy all over.  This, dear reader, is the warm hug from Nova Scotia I've come to rely on when I'm feeling a titch out of place.  A large circle of colourful, Adirondack chairs is placed around three large, tin buckets.  The smell of freshly steamed, seasoned shellfish in the air.
And then I hear this weird "tinging" sound, unnervingly interfering with the rhythm of the music being played.  It's shells hitting those buckets.  I've just been ushered into my first Shell Fish Boil! My 3 feet has now turned into 6 feet!


Shell tossing
All these people circled around, not a campfire, but three buckets being used as unofficial scoring targets for their shellfish side products; mingling and enjoying good food, good beer, good music.   This is no longer a Foodie Function and I'm feeling home.

And then the needle slides across the record.

The talk has turned to hops and brewing tactics and percentages and methods and I'm lost.

"Would you like a Low Tide W.I.P.A?"

 Yup!  sure would.  In fact, give me 2!

And with that, our group is to proceed down to the Fundy floor.
( If you were wondering, I think I scored pretty good on my shell tossing.  My horse shoe tossing skills really helped out!)
Mother Nature.  She's so photogenic!
The shore is not visible from the main park.  It really doesn't come into view until you've hit the last step of the path and, let me tell you, I was gobsmacked when I hit that last step!  If you have never experienced the Bay of Fundy, it has to be on your bucket list! My only regret was that the tour was too short!  I could have spent hours walking those incredible vistas!  I found myself wandering from the group several times, lost in my own self directed tour. I took this opportunity to recharge and enjoy things as they were before being shepherded in the direction of how this backdrop defines the brewery's focus on tidal-inspired ingredients and true Nova Scotian tradition.

Just let me find a hermit crab okay?

And yes, I'd love another beer!

On we marched to the main dinner!  This is to be a pairing experience with each course being highlighted by the three beers being introduced.  Like I've said before: Scotians take their beer serious! We ( yes, I said WE) do a beer pairing like most people do wine pairings.

Getting set up on the Fundy floor
Like a wedding reception in an outdoor venue, tents and table were set out waiting for our attendance on the low tide Fundy floor.  It was romantic, surreal and majestic.  I needed a moment to give thanks.  Not many people will ever get this experience, and the few that do usually pay a pretty penny!  I was fully aware that I had no basis to be contrary to the conversational quagmire that was about to transpire during this feast.

The Three New Beers
Overcast day but still amazing!
The meal was, of course, great.  My review as a Non-Foodie:  Stuff I've never heard of or tried that tasted good.  Free beer; no tab.  Spot on!

I have no idea what she's talking about
And honestly the conversation wasn't too bad.  Like usual, EatThisTown was a virtual encyclopedia and I loved hearing the history and/or cultural significance of some foods.  How she can regurgitate all that information without hidden notes or cue cards in her pocket is beyond me!

guess what...picture time!
I loved how the musicians had come down for the Dinner and played before service to keep the atmosphere and theme fresh in people's minds.   During their pauses in play, they were not fed nor given seats. They had to just stand there.  It made me very uncomfortable and I felt elitist.   These people supplied me with the feeling of Nova Scotian culture and pride, which is the theme that I think Kieth's was really trying to push. My enjoyment of the meal and ultimately Keith's beer, would have been far greater had it been spiced with anecdotes from all the locales these musicians could have supplied.

But, then again, I'm not a Foodie.




Stay tuned gentle reader as this week I attended my first East Coast wedding.  Pictures and Prose to follow









1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the east coast buddy. Sounds like you're having a blast.

    ReplyDelete